5 wounded in Gresham drive-by

5 wounded in Gresham drive-by

CHICAGO (WLS) — Five people were wounded Saturday after someone in a vehicle opened fire in Gresham on the South Side.

It happened at 2:58 a.m., while they were gathered on the sidewalk in the 7900 block of South Loomis Boulevard, Chicago police said. Someone in a grey sedan drove up, unleashed gunfire and hit the group, before driving off.

A 24-year-old man was shot in the chest, and another man 31, was hit in the back and chest, police said. They were taken to Christ Medical Center in critical condition.

A 27-year-old man was shot in the leg and a woman, 29, was hit in the hip, police said. They were taken on the University of Chicago Medical Center; their conditions were stabilized.

A 37-year-old man who was grazed in the wrist refused medical treatment, police said.

No one is in custody. Area South detectives are investigating.

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Published at Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:40:17 +0000

R. Kelly Arrested on Fed Child Porn Charges, Indicted in NYC, Illinois

R. Kelly Arrested on Fed Child Porn Charges, Indicted in NYC, Illinois

UPDATE: R. Kelly Indicted in NYC on Federal Kidnapping, Racketeering and Child Sex Charges — Read the Full Court Document Here

Singer R. Kelly was arrested on federal sex charges Thursday night nearly five months after he was released on bail for additional sexual abuse charges brought by Illinois prosecutors, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s office said.

The 52-year-old was arrested in Chicago by Homeland Security Investigations agents and NYPD Public Safety Task Force, officials told News 4. R. Kelly had stepped out for a smoke and to walk his dog “Believe” when he was taken into custody around 7 p.m. local time, a law enforcement source familiar with the case said.

He was being held at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago, according to the Federal Prisons Bureau website.

Steve Greenberg, an attorney for Kelly confirmed Thursday’s arrest, adding “the agents were courteous and professional, as was Mr. Kelly.” 

“The conduct alleged appears to largely be the same as the conduct previously alleges against Mr. Kelly in his current State indictment and his former State charges that he was acquitted of,” Greenberg said. “Most, if not all of the conduct alleged, is decades old.” 

There are separate federal indictments filed in both Chicago and Brooklyn — and no victim overlap in the cases, authorities said. Kelly made his initial court appearance Thursday night.

An indictment unsealed in the Eastern District of New York Friday charges him with racketeering, kidnapping, forced labor and sexual exploitation of a child. Read the full NYC indictment here.  

A 13-count indictment was handed down Thursday in federal court for the Northern District of Illinois and includes charges of child pornography, enticement of a minor and obstruction of justice. 

Kelly did not enter a plea for the Illinois or Eastern District of New York indictments. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday for the Illinois indictment, and the issues of how he will be detained and moved to New York will be addressed that day as well.

Kelly and his lawyers hope the singer will be released from custody. Federal prosecutors said in a detention memo filed in Illinois Friday that Kelly should be granted no bail pending trial.

Greenberg said Kelly already has a team of “outstanding” federal litigators and was not surprised by the new charges. 

“He and his lawyers look forward to his day in court, to the truth coming out and to his vindication from what has been an unprecedented assault by others for their own personal gain. Most importantly he looks forward to being able to continue to making wonderful music and perform for his legions of fans that believe him.” 

The singer’s crisis manager, Darrell Johnson, says his legal team was expecting the indictment to happen but he doesn’t know what the charges are yet. Kelly, whose legal name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, was in high spirit as he awaits his trial, according to Johnson.

“Mr. Kelly has declared his innocence from day one,” said Johnson, who says he has been working with the R&B star for six months. “I’ve seen nothing, and I do mean nothing, that would lead to any type of guilt.”

Andrea Kelly, the singer’s ex-wife, had no comment following the arrest, her rep said.

The 52-year-old has been the subject of different sexual abuse allegations for nearly two decades, with some of the alleged acts dating back to 1998.

R. Kelly Yells In Explosive Interview: 5 Biggest Bombshells

[NATL] R. Kelly Yells In Explosive Interview: 5 Biggest Bombshells

Back in February, Kelly was charged with aggravated sexual abuse involving four women, three of whom were minors when the alleged abuse occurred. He pleaded not guilty and was released from Chicago’s Cook County Jail after posting bail.

A jury in 2008 acquitted Kelly of child pornography charges stemming from a video showing him having sex with a girl as young as 13, prosecutors claimed at the time. Kelly faced 15 years in prison for that charge, but the young woman in that claim denied it was her and did not testify.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Published at Sat, 13 Jul 2019 02:23:12 +0000

Metra BNSF Riders Should Seek Alternative Transport: Agency

Metra BNSF Riders Should Seek Alternative Transport: Agency

Metra officials are urging riders who use the Metra BNSF Line to take alternative transportation after an incident in a train yard Friday afternoon.

In a social media post, the agency announced that a train is blocking all tracks out of the rail yard, and that the incident is preventing the movement of equipment for the evening rush hour.

There is no word on when the incident will be resolved, but the company is advising riders to “take alternative transportation if possible.”

The BNSF line, which originates at Union Station, services the western suburbs of Chicago, including Naperville and Aurora.

Metra is advising riders to stay up to date with the delays on the agency’s Twitter feed.

Published at Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:12:16 +0000

R. Kelly Attorney Details How Singer’s Arrest Went Down

R. Kelly Attorney Details How Singer’s Arrest Went Down

R. Kelly’s attorney on Friday released a statement after the singer was arrested on federal sex charges the night before, saying the arrest wasn’t a surprise to Kelly.

“Mr. Kelly was aware of the investigations and the charges were not a surprise,” Steve Greenberg, R. Kelly’s attorney, said in the statement. “He had already assembled a team of outstanding federal litigators, Steve Greenberg, R. Kelly’s attorney, said in the statement.”

The 52-year-old’s arrest came nearly five months after he was released on bail for additional sexual abuse charges brought by Illinois prosecutors, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s office said.

Here is Greenberg’s full statement:

“As has been reported, Robert Kelly was arrested by federal agents last night while walking his dog. The agents were courteous and professional, as was Mr. Kelly. The charges arose from alleged conduct in the Northern District of Illinois as well as the Eastern District of New York. The conduct alleged appears to largely be the same as the conduct previously alleged against Mr. Kelly in his current State indictment and his former State charges that he was acquitted of. Most, if not all of the conduct alleged, is decades old.

Mr. Kelly was aware of the investigations and the charged were not a surprise. He had already assembled a team of outstanding federal litigators. He and his lawyers look forward to his day in court, to the truth coming out and to the vindication from what has been an unprecedented assault by others for their own personal gain. Most importantly he looks forward to being able to continue making wonderful music and perform for his legions of fans that believe in him.

A bail hearing will be held early next week, at which time Mr. Kelly hopes to be released from custody.

There will be no further comment at this time.”

Published at Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:31:55 +0000

CHICAGO | Business trip | 2018

CHICAGO | Business trip | 2018

Here is a short video recapping our Chicago business trip last month.

The YPN Leadership Retreat has been successful in the past, and has been successful in the past.

We visited the city and enjoyed the views, architecture and great food. As a lover of real estate and architecture, Chicago definitely had a lot to offer.

Definitely one of our favorite cities, thus far!

It was nice to go back to the grind! From our new building on board, the rest of this year is looking solid! ?? ? ?

Elgin library plans to tighten budget to increase salaries

Elgin library plans to tighten budget to increase salaries

The Gail Borden Public Library District’s proposed new budget includes a general tightening of expenses across the board so salaries can be raised gradually by the time the state’s minimum wage reaches $15 in 2025.

About 34% of the library’s workforce makes less than $15 per hour, Carole Medal, the library’s executive director, said at a board meeting Tuesday. The minimum wage now is $8.25 per hour in Illinois.

“We want to avoid salary spikes in the next few years,” she said, adding that “the rest of the budget we really streamlined as much as possible.”

The nearly $13.9 million tentative operating budget for the fiscal year that started July 1 — the board will retroactively approve the final budget in September — is a 2% increase from the 2018-19 budget. The largest increase, or about $435,000 equating to 6.1%, is for salaries. There will be base salary increases across the board, plus merit-based raises of 2%, library spokeswoman Denise Raleigh said.

“Every department did a great job of taking things out (of the budget),” board President Jean Bednar said.

Board member Amanda Garcia agreed, saying, “Well done, everyone.”

The previous library budget increased by 4% from the year before. By comparison, the national Consumer Price Index rose by 1.8% in one year through May, data shows.

        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        

The good news is that circulation increased by 3.1% after seven years of decline, Medal said.

The library wants to increase spending for e-books and streaming, mostly audiobooks.

Cuts will include laptop dispensing machines, the replacement of security gates, seal-coating of parking lots, marketing items like mugs and water bottles, and conferences and continuing education for staff members. The newsletter will go from 12 to eight pages, and a “staff day” will be a half-day with no lunch, Medal said.

The library fronted unexpected expenses this past year to fix burst pipes during January’s extreme cold and to clean nontoxic mold in an archive/storage room that holds local history and special interest magazines, Raleigh said.

The board also gave the OK on Tuesday to start the work to put a question on the March ballot that will ask voters to keep their library taxes at the same amount after the library finishes paying off its bonds Dec. 15, 2021. The proposed budget includes $2.5 million for bond principal and interest payments.

        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        

“The number one reason that this is really critical for the future of the library district is the maintaining of the buildings,” such as roofs, boilers, parking lots and more. There is also need to expand the South Elgin branch and possibly expand hours of operation, Medal said.

If voters say “no,” the owner of a house with a cash value of about $152,500 would save an estimated $48 per year, Raleigh said.

In that case, the library would have to look at cutting hours, staff and materials, Medal said. “We would be working with less, and this budget is already pretty tight,” she said.

The next step will be to establish an advocacy committee, because the library cannot advocate for a specific vote, only inform voters, Medal said. A pro bono consultant who specializes in helping libraries will assist, she said.

Published at Thu, 11 Jul 2019 18:13:19 +0000

Inmate who escaped from Indiana State Prison captured in Beverly Shores

Inmate who escaped from Indiana State Prison captured in Beverly Shores

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (WLS) — An inmate who escaped from the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City, Indiana has been taken into custody, police said.

Travis Hornett, 39, escaped from a work detail on prison grounds at 11:10 a.m. Michigan City police said he was apprehended Wednesday night in Beverly Shores by Indiana State Police, Indiana Department of Corrections staff and the Michigan City Police Department.

Hornett was charged with burglary, and sentenced on September 14, 2018, to serve five years.

Copyright © 2019 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.

Published at Thu, 11 Jul 2019 13:06:39 +0000

‘Dangerous’ Inmate Escapes Indiana State Prison

‘Dangerous’ Inmate Escapes Indiana State Prison

Police are searching for a “dangerous” inmate who escaped the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City Wednesday, according to authorities. 

Travis Hornett, 39, fled from a work detail around 11:10 a.m. on prison grounds and was believed to still be in the area, the Michigan City Police Department said. He was weatring khaki clothes when he fled but it was unclear if he would still be wearing them outside of the prison. 

“If you see this person he’s to be considered Dangerous, call 911 immediately and provide information on his whereabouts,” the department wrote on Facebook.

Hornett is described as a white hispanic male with brown hair and brown eyes. He is about 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds, police said. 

Teen Stabbed to Death, Allegedly for Playing Rap Music

[NATL] Teen Stabbed to Death, Allegedly for Playing Rap Music

According to the Indiana Department of Corrections, Hornett was sentenced to 10 years in prison for a burglary charge in 2006. He was released in 2015 but arrested again for burglary in 2018 and was sentenced to another five years in prison in September. His projected release date was May 30, 2021, according to the department.  

Published at Wed, 10 Jul 2019 18:39:09 +0000

Beyonce drops ‘Spirit,’ new ‘Lion King’ song, as film premieres

Beyonce drops ‘Spirit,’ new ‘Lion King’ song, as film premieres

As if there weren’t already enough reasons to get excited for the new “The Lion King” movie, now we have new Beyonce music to go with it.

Just as Queen Bey ruled at the film’s Los Angeles premiere on Tuesday night, she also dropped a new song called “Spirit,” which will be on the soundtrack.

Beyonce will voice Nala in the new live-action take on the ’90s animated classic alongside Donald Glover’s Simba. We already got to hear her take on “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” when that audio was released last month.

The all-star cast will also feature Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar and John Oliver as Zazu. James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa.

“The Lion King” will hit theaters on July 19, 2019. Tickets are on sale now.

The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of this station.

MORE ON ‘THE LIONG KING’

The Lion King’s Rafiki helps family with gender reveal at Disney World

‘Lion King’ tickets go on sale on 25th anniversary of original animated classic

Beyonce, Donald Glover sing ‘Can You Feel The Love Tonight?’ from ‘Lion King’: LISTEN

Watch Beyonce talking as Nala for first time in new ‘Lion King’ clip

THE LATEST DISNEY NEWS

Disney’s Freeform claps back against critics of ‘Little Mermaid’ casting

New ‘Mulan’ trailer: Disney drops first look at live-action remake

Halle Bailey joins Disney’s live-action ‘Little Mermaid’ cast as Ariel

Report a correction or typo

Published at Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:56:52 +0000

Alligator spotted in Chicago park lagoon

Alligator spotted in Chicago park lagoon

Authorities on Tuesday were attempting to rescue a small alligator in Chicago’s Humboldt Park Lagoon.

Several witnesses said they saw the creature about 4 p.m. as it surfaced from the water. One of the onlookers pointed from the shore and said, “Look, did you see it?”

Chicago police said in a news conference that an alligator, about 4 or 5 feet long, was inside the lagoon. Police said the reptile would be trapped tonight and then relocated to a zoo for veterinary evaluation.

For the full report, visit chicago.suntimes.com.

Published at Tue, 09 Jul 2019 22:01:26 +0000